Monday 2 March 2015

Oh Baby!

There are some days that are......well days one remembers.  It started with a phone call early one evening a short while ago.

'We're rushing number one daughter to hospital now can you meet us.  N1D had been due to have Her baby last week.

It was cold, dark and raining, I drove shall we say "if you were a racing driver in the same type of car, you would have been hard pressed to stay with me!"

Part of the journey was on the Motorway, I held Mistresses hand tightly on this stretch of our passage, both of us fully aware what the implications could be, we could not speak about it, it was too awful to contemplate.

We arrived at the Hospital to find the parking was exorbitant, not that we cared at the time, but later on I reflected how sad it is that you have to pay to attend an emergency of a loved one, no compassion; just cold hard cash!

The next few hours were spent with us all sitting in the room with N1D offering our physical support, trying to appear calm, screaming on the inside.

We waited and waited while the Docs tried to make a decision.

I was given the task of monitoring the contraction times on N1D phone using an app She had downloaded.

RANT TIME:  It wasn't an I-Phone, it was rubbish to use, the phone was
 @£&********€$>#}{, I'm not employed by apple, however they get my vote every time. I am a firm believer in it should be easy to use and strangely enough I think it should actually work!  This stupid make of phone was
Appalling!


Rant Over

Finally as things started to look blacker, a little after Midnight N1D was whisked away for an Caesarian, we got thrown out into the cold comfortless waiting area (Which was basically little more than a corridor) to spend the next three to four hours pacing and worrying.

Finally the news reached us Baby and Mother doing well!!!!

We hugged, cried a little and went back to waiting.

It was gone six before we got to see them, just a fleeting visit, a kiss and we were banished until visiting time.

We are so lucky to live in a country that has a National Health Service,
Free to all citizens at the point of delivery, or in this case doing the delivery!
(yes I know not one of my better jokes, it has been a tiring few days)

I drove us back home, both of us very happy but shattered, at our age the one thing I am certain of is that I need my beauty sleep, lots of it in my case!

We slumped into bed ready to sleep the day away.

I am happy to report we managed two and a half hours before the dog chose to wake us up!

So maybe I now have three Mistresses in my life, lucky or what!
m


 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What an adventure, and best of all a wonderful ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penney,

    Many thanks,

    Now I can be that 'Grumpy old git!'

    Did you get that last chapter I sent you?

    Regards
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.

    Now let's fund our hospitals properly so they don't need to charge for parking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MHD,

    Many thanks, as to the hospitals I fully agree with you.
    But thank god we have the NHS, I wonder how people fare in different countries.

    Regards
    m

    ReplyDelete
  5. m and Mistress S.... and N1D: Congrats on becoming grandparents and mom. Katie and I wish you all nothing but the best.... as to the health care you got for free.... hmmmm, don't you all pay taxes? :) Nothing is for free m, you should know that. Now only if the electricians would work for free - now that would be a miracle indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Im Hers,

    Many thanks for your kind congrats, as you can guess Mistress and I are thrilled.

    I agree our National Health Service is not free, and i do moan at times about my taxes, however it is free at the point of delivery, this i feel is a wonderful thing. While we waited in the hospital maternity ward Women were brought in very frequently. Some with their Husband or Partner, others just with a Mother or friend. One poor lass, i guess late teens was brought in by Paramedics, She was screaming and screaming in pain and fear (She in fact screamed for some considerable time) it was harrowing to my ears. I am make a big assumption here in that i doubt She could have afforded any Medical Insurance, She was however treated in exactly the same way as everyone else. Personally i was glad that night that some of my tax was spent on Her, i was even more glad some was spent on N1D. The NHS don't get everything right, however they get most of it right most of the time.

    As to electricians doing freebies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hush you'd get me a bad name lol, although between you and me just occasionally i have done the odd small job for free.

    Regards
    m

    ReplyDelete